Saturday 19 November 2016

Fire and Rain - past simple, present perfect, present progressive, present simple




JAMES TAYLOR LYRICS

                 "Fire And Rain"

Just yesterday morning, 
they        1     (to let) me know you were gone.
Suzanne, the plans they     2      (to make)
 put an end to you.

I walked out this morning
 and I        3      (to write) down this song,
I just can't remember who to send it to.

I've seen fire and I've seen rain.
I     4     (to see) sunny days that
 I    5     (to think) would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend, but I always thought that I'd see you again.

Won't you look down upon me, 
Jesus,
you         6       (to have) to help me make a stand.
You've just got to see me through another day.
My body       7     (to ache) and my time is at hand and I won't make it any other way.
Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend, but I always thought that I'd see you again.

(I've) Been walking my mind to an easy time, my back turned towards the sun.
Lord       8        (to know) when the cold wind  
      9       (to blow) it'll turn your head around.
Well, there's hours of time on the telephone line to talk about things to come.
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend,
but I always thought that I'd see you baby, one more time again, now.

Thought I'd see you one more time again.
There's just a few things      10        (to come) my way this time around, now.
Thought I'd see you, thought I'd see you, fire and rain, now.


1) Fill in the blanks
2)Words you don't know
3)Images
4) Select five most important words and explain why
5) One line that is your favorite and explain
6) Rename the title
7) Symbols/ metaphores? 
8) Topic/ Theme
9) Read the excerpt below. How does his biography show presence in his music?

Taylor faltered during his junior year at Milton, feeling uneasy in the high-pressured college prep environment despite a good scholastic performance.[20] The Milton headmaster would later say, "James was more sensitive and less goal oriented than most students of his day."[21] He returned home to North Carolina to finish out the semester at Chapel Hill High School.[20] There, he joined a band his brother Alex had formed called The Corsayers (later The Fabulous Corsairs), playing electric guitar; in 1964, they cut a single in Raleigh that featured James's song "Cha Cha Blues" on the B-side.[20] Having lost touch with his former school friends in North Carolina, Taylor returned to Milton for his senior year.[20]
There, Taylor started applying to colleges[22] but soon descended into depression; his grades collapsed, he slept 20 hours each day, and he felt part of a "life that [he was] unable to lead."[20][23] In late 1965 he committed himself to the renowned McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts,[20]Taylor earned a high school diploma in 1966 from the hospital's associated Arlington School.[24] He would later view his nine-month stay at McLean as "a lifesaver... like a pardon or like a reprieve,"[23] As for his mental health struggles, Taylor would think of them as innate and say: "It's an inseparable part of my personality that I have these feelings."[22]

1966–1969: early career[edit]

Taylor checked himself out of McLean and spent a semester at Elon University before, at Kortchmar's urging, moving to New York City to form a band.[24] They recruited Joel O'Brien, formerly of Kortchmar's old band King Bees, to play drums, and Taylor's childhood friend Zachary Wiesner (son of noted academic Jerome Wiesner) to play bass, and after Taylor rejected the notion of naming the group after him, they called themselves the Flying Machine.[21][25] 

No comments:

Post a Comment